Deed of Name Change

We offer a deed of name change service to our clients. This can help to make the process of changing your own name, or that of your child, far easier to handle.

What is a deed of name change?

A deed of name change is a legal document by which any individual can announce their intention to change or alter any part of their name. This may be changing their first name, changing, adding or removing middle names, or changing their surname.

Roche Legal can draw up a deed of name change on your behalf. This will display your former and new name, as well as your current address. It will then need to be formally witnessed.

This document can be used to notify professional and governmental organisations, such as banks and HMRC, of your new name.

Registering a deed of name change with the Supreme Court

Though there is no legal requirement to officially register a name change, lodging a deed of name change with the Supreme Court is a common way to formalise the process. Taking this step can ensure there’s absolutely no doubt from a legal perspective on your change of name.

Once we have completed your deed of name change, we can register it with the Supreme Court on your behalf.

In order to do this, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be a British citizen, or a citizen of the Commonwealth.
  • Your must record your marital status.
  • You must be able to show that you have consent from your spouse or civil partner for the change of name.

The final step in this process is to submit these documents, along with a statutory declaration, to the Supreme Court.

Get started

For a fixed fee, we will draw up a deed of name change, advise you on the supporting documents you’ll need, and register the deed with the supreme court on your behalf.

Deeds of name changes for children

Anyone who has parental responsibility for a child under the age of 18 can draw up and register a deed of name change on the child’s behalf. This can be used to change the child’s first name, change, add or remove middle names, or change their surname.

Everyone who has parental responsibility for a child must consent to the name change. When the children in question are between the ages of 16 and 18, they will also have to give their consent.

The only exception to this are individuals aged between 16 and 18 who are, or have been, married or in a civil partnership. These individuals will be treated as an adult for the purposes of the deed of name change.

If you choose to register a deed of name change for your child with the Supreme Court, you will need to produce the following supporting documents:

  • An affidavit of best interest, stating why the name change is in the child’s best interest.
  • A statutory declaration.

Get the legal advice you need

Dealing with legal issues can be confusing and stressful. We understand this, and we’re always on hand to untangle jargon and offer support.

Scroll to Top