Estates & Probate

>>Estates & Probate
Estates & Probate 2017-05-18T14:49:21+00:00

We can make administrative formalities easier following a death

When someone dies, it is usually necessary to deal with the “winding up” of their estate. This means sorting out their property and money in accordance with their Will – or if there is no Will, in accordance with the law that applies in each case.

If someone leaves a Will, you might need to get a Grant of Probate. A Grant of Probate is a document which gives the person responsible for distributing the money and property, the legal authority to do what is required of them.

If there is no Will, we can advise you about who is entitled to what – and what you can and can’t do to sort things out.

Sometimes when someone dies, people fall out. If you find that there are disputes or disagreements, we can act as a neutral party and get things resolved.


Deeds of Variation

A Deed of Variation is where one or more beneficiaries of a deceased person’s estate chose to give up or change the amount of inheritance they have received under a Will or the Intestacy Laws, in favour of someone else.

There are many reasons why a beneficiary may wish to alter their entitlement; it could be because they wish to provide for others who are in greater need, or because there are tax advantages of doing so.

We can deal with the legal formalities and explain the pros and cons of entering in to such an arrangement.

Please note that Deeds of Variation can only be entered into within two years of the deceased person’s death.

Download A Free e-book

When someone close to you dies you have a number of legal responsibilities. Managing these responsibilities can be daunting. Our handy guide explains all of your responsibilities