Preparing for your appointment

Going to see a solicitor for the first time can be daunting, but don’t worry; we’ll do our best to make you feel at ease.
There are some documents we’ll need to see before we can start acting on your behalf. Gathering these in advance will mean we can make the most of your initial appointment.

Proof Of Identity

We will need to verify your identity before we can start working together. Please provide us with either one item from List A and one item from List B, or two items from List B. If you don’t have access to these items, let us know and we’ll do our best to find a solution.

You will be asked to upload scanned copies of your ID documents when you complete our new client intake form online. 

In some cases we will also need to see your ID in person. If you’re unable to visit face-to-face, you may need to provide copies of your ID that have been certified by us – or another solicitor – as a true copy of the original. We’ll let you know whether this will apply to you.

List A

  • Passport.
  • EU Member State identification card.
  • UK photo card driving licence.
  • H.M. Forces identity card.

List B

  • UK driving licence.
  • Bank account or credit card statement (less than three months’ old).
  • Firearm and shotgun certificate.
  • Utility bill (less than three months’ old – but not a mobile phone bill).
  • Council Tax bill (from the current year).
  • Mortgage statement (for the mortgage accounting year just ended).

Any of the above items in List B must show your current address. If you need any further information please get in touch.

If you are a Business

If you’re instructing us to act on behalf of your company, partnership or other business structure, we will need to see proof of identity for the director(s), partner(s) or other person(s) with authority to instruct us in your matter.

Where there is more than one such person involved in the company, we will require identification from at least two people. In many cases we will need to see ID for everyone involved.

If your company is registered we will also need your company number in order to carry out a Companies House check.

Additional information & documents

In order to get started on your matter we will need some additional information and documents from you. What you will need to prepare depends on the type of work you are meeting with us about.

Please see the guidance below for what we’ll need from you for many of the services we offer. The more of this information you’re able to provide at the start, the smoother the process is likely to be.

If your meeting with us is by videocall, please make sure you have the required information and documents with you during the appointment. We may also need you send us some documents beforehand and so please check this.

  • A list of your assets and their approximate value (e.g. property, vehicles, artwork, antiques, jewellery). You will also need to tell us whether these assets are owned solely by you or in joint names.
  • The full names and addresses of everyone to be named in your Will.
  • A copy of any wills you have made previously.
  • Please take a look at our help guides on wills to familiarise yourself with the decisions you will need to make.
  • Full names, addresses and dates of birth for all proposed Attorneys.
  • A copy of any existing powers of attorney documentation.
  • Please take a look at our help guides on powers of attorney to familiarise yourself with the process of making an LPA.
  • A death certificate for the person who has died. Please send this to us by email before your appointment. 
  • The original Will (if it is not already held by Roche Legal). If we do not hold the Will, please send this to us by email before your appointment. 
  • National insurance numbers for the person who has died and their executors.
  • A full list of assets of the estate (if this is not yet available, please provide estimates). This includes:
    • Property
    • Bank account names and numbers (including the balance at date of death and any interest that has accrued)
    • Shares (we’ll need to know the type of shares, how many there are and a valuation)
    • Details of any pensions, including any lump sum payments
    • Personal property with a value of over £500
  • A full list of any liabilities for the estate. This includes:
    • Funeral costs
    • Outstanding payments (including mortgages, care home fees, loans, utility bills, etc)
  • Details of any trusts the person who has died was a beneficiary of.
  • The full names and addresses of anyone who is named in the Will (or details of family members in cases where there is no Will).
  • Date and place of marriage of the person who has died (if applicable), along with the name of their spouse and whether or not they are still alive.
  • Details of any surviving family members of the person who has died (this should include parents, siblings, spouse, children, grandchildren and great grandchildren).
  • A copy of any Power of Attorney made by the person who has died that was acted on before their death.
  • Details of any gifts of over £3,000 the person who has died made during their lifetime.
  • A copy of the Will that is being challenged.
  • As much information as you can provide about the assets and debts of the estate.
  • Details of the family situation and proposed challenge.
  • Personal details of the person that needs you to act on their behalf. This should include:
    • Their full name and address
    • Their date of birth
    • Their National Insurance number
    • Details of their finances (including capital, income and expenditure)
    • Details of their family situation (including details of a deceased spouse, if applicable)
    • The name and address of their GP
  • Personal details of the proposed Deputies. This should include:
    • Their full names, addresses and dates of birth
    • Their occupations and length of service
    • Verbal confirmation that they don’t have any criminal convictions and have not been declared bankrupt

Not sure what to bring?

If in doubt, please bring any and all documents you think might be relevant. We can go through them together to find what we need.

We’re always on hand to answer any questions you may have about this. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch before your appointment if you need to.

Contact Our Team Today