What happens to my money and property if I get Dementia?

If you become unwell in the future to the extent that you are unable to manage your property and financial affairs, your loved ones may need to go to Court to get the authority that they need to help you.

That is, unless you have a Lasting Power of Attorney in place. If you are concerned about possible failing health in the future, the best course of action is to get your wishes in line now, rather than take a “wait and see” approach

However, if you don’t manage to get a Lasting Power of Attorney in place and you do become unwell, there is a procedure that your family can take to manage your affairs on your behalf.

This is called an application for a Deputy and is a court application to what is known as the Court of Protection.

If you need to discuss this further on behalf of a loved one, please let us know – we can help.

Although the Court process can seem daunting, we have a wealth of experience in making such applications and can guide you every step of the way.

We are members of Solicitors for the Elderly, a national organisation of lawyers who advise elderly clients, their families and carers. We are also supporting Alzheimer’s Society in 2014 and are proud to embark on the national initiative of Dementia Friends Champions in August.

Need further help?

If you would like to discuss any of the topics raised in this article, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Scroll to Top